Thursday, August 6, 2009

Working on the cake

Clay took a picture of me while I was working on Emma's cake.


I thought I should tell you just how much time it takes to make a cake like this. First I spent 5 hours last week making 270 royal icing violets. Next came the actual baking and frosting of the cake (I forgot to time how long that took). Finally, I spent about 2 more hours assembling the cake, individually attaching all 270 violets to the cake. And the end result:

Yes, this is a lot of time to spend on a cake, but I wanted to. I bought a cake decorating book about 3 years ago. This cake was in the book, and the whole reason why I bought the book. I am glad I finally had the opportunity to make this cake for someone I love :)

5 comments:

John said...

That is amazing and beautiful!!!Good Job.

Laura said...

okay, you are officially awesome. more than awesome, even.

Emily said...

Impressive. Very impressive.

Heather Rose-Chase said...

It's absolutely stunning Heidi! What a fabulous job you did! Are you thinking of creating a side business? My Aunt (who did our wedding cake) did cake decorating while her kids were in school. You could do something like that, especially if they taste as good at they look!

Atzimba said...

Wow, it looks awesome Heidi! Congratulations to the birthday girl! and to you for that beautiful cake!