Saturday, January 22, 2011

Curly Hair

I have naturally curly hair. Got it from my dad. The question always comes up "curly or straight?"
Most of the time I just do curly. It takes WAY less time. And no matter what I use or do, it never seems to get totally straight. Still kind of "fluffy-straight" not sleek and smooth. I have tried the CHI from my friends. In college I used to get my roommates to iron my hair. Always the same result.
My sisters and I all have various types of curly hair. Holly takes time to use large rollers for big bouncy curls. Heather used to get spiral perms (when those were big) but now just goes straight. Me, still doing the natural thing.

I was getting to the point that I really needed a haircut. I DREAD haircuts. Do you remember this_hair_cut? It is pretty typical for me. I've lived here for over 8 years and haven't found a place I like... until now.
I ran into another curly girl in the waiting room who had just moved here. We were taking about hair and she told me about naturallycurly.com where you can find a salon that does curly hair. Wow!! What a great resource! I found a gal a few miles away who had great reviews. I called and made an appointment. Turns out she has been Deva_Trained. It is a whole new way to style, cut, and care for curly hair. First thing she told me was to get rid of the towel. A towel works like Velcro on your hair. Just use an old t-shirt on your hair and gently squeeze the water out of your hair.
Next, use the Deva Curl products. Their shampoo is sulfate-free (sulfates dry your hair) and are water soluble. I use the No-Poo, One Condition, AnGel, and Set if Free. My stylist taught me how to care for my hair, but here is a video link for you: Do_the_Deva_3-Step. I actually have watched all their videos to learn more tips.
I've been doing this for almost a year now. The results are in:

I love it!! And no, I did not use a curling iron or anything. I styled everything with my fingers. That's it. In the summer I let my hair air-dry. During the winter I kneel in front of the space heater in my bathroom. It couldn't me more easy! If you've got curly hair, you have got to try this!

3 comments:

Marge said...

YOUR HAIR LOOKS AMAZING!!! I'm so happy that you've found something that is simple and easy and WORKS for you. I love it. Thanks for sharing - I don't have all that curl but I do have a little natural wave - I'm sure the towel thing applies to all hair types. Keep up the GREAT looks!

Matt, Julie & Family said...

You look great, Heidi...beautiful curls. I have to work so hard to get curls like that!

Tara said...

Your hair looks great Heidi! I love the ringlets! I have the opposite problem... I spend time curling my hair and it all falls out in a matter of hours (minutes if I'm in CA) and it's back to straight again. LOL! Oh well, I guess ya just can't have it both ways huh. You look fantastic!!!