Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mono

I have had Mono for the last 2 weeks. I started feeling sick a few hours after Emma's birthday party was over. I went to the doctor for my sore throat, she put me on antibiotics and it just got worse. And I was tired all day. I finally tested positive for mono. I started taking Vitamin C and Acidophilus, and Clay made me several fruit smoothies and gave me a Priesthood blessing with the missionaries. That seemed to do the trick, because it only less than 2 weeks. I am finally feeling better, so we are going to go out and have some fun!

Some fun facts about Mono: Once you get it, you aren't supposed to get it again, just like chicken pox. Clay didn't get sick at all because he got it in college. Of course, I had chicken pox twice... Mono has an incubation period of up to 4-7 weeks! You want to get mono as a kid, it will only be like any other cold or flu and then you are done. We think the girls got it first and passed it to me, because they did have the appropriate symptoms a week before me. When you get it as an adult (usually late teens and early twenties), that is when you get the sore throat and tiredness. If you take some types of penicillin when you have mono (b/c the Dr thinks you have strep) you can develop a rash over your body. Many people who think they are allergic to penicillin may have simply had mono at the time and didn't realize it.

I am so thankful that is over! And I am thankful it only lasted 2 weeks!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

So glad you are feeling better and it wasn't too long!

Ellie said...

I had no idea! I'm glad you are better and that it was so quick.

Unknown said...

Not fun. I got mono as a kid but had to be hospitalized and put on oxygen. But I got it the same time as I got strep throat, tonsilitis, and pneumonia. I had been fighting strep throat and tonsilitis off and on for months before that so once I was finally better out came the tonsils. I am glad you are feeling better and hopefully you won't experience this twice.