Thursday, January 22, 2009

The other birthday...

I got so many comments about Clay's birthday, that I had to share what happened on MY birthday. Just so you get a good picture of a not so perfect life...


The day before my birthday, Rebekah started throwing up. It was a quick stomach flu that she got from nursery. Her little friend, Evan, had it too. So my only wish was that I didn't have to clean up any puke on my birthday.

On Thursday, Jan 8, my birthday, Clay took me out to dinner at a fancy restaurant, Lightfoot, and arranged for a babysitter. It was very good, as usual. Except I felt way over stuffed and started feeling a little ill. Didn't think much of it.

The next night we invited 2 couples over to play Settlers of Catan with us. They both had the pinewood derby to go to first, so they didn't get here until almost 9. I was busy cleaning and getting ready. Then I sat down and turned to Clay and said I was all of the sudden not feeling well. Right then the doorbell rang. We let them in, chatted for a minute, then I had to excuse myself while I ran up stairs to puke! I felt better after so we started playing the game. Well, 3 more times I had to excuse myself to go puke. I started to get really tired and got the chills too. I don't know why I didn't just tell them to go home. I guess I felt bad b/c we had invited them over and it was for my birthday. They had no idea I was sick. Well, I finally won the game and they all left around 1 am. I didn't even get to really say goodbye to them b/c I had to go puke again. Oh, I had made my favorite lemon cake, but didn't eat any that night b/c I was so sick. :(

So, Saturday I pretty much layed on the couch. I wasn't puking anymore, but my stomach hurt from all the retching. And Clay went into work for about 4 hours, but took Emma with him so I didn't have to worry about 2 kids while I was feeling ill. Then Clay said our friends were coming over for a little while. I couldn't understand why when we were going over there after church on Sunday, and I was in my sweats not feeling well. Well, Melinda made a cake for me (for Sunday), but it fell on the floor!! She salvaged as much as she could and brought it over so that I could enjoy it before it completely fell apart. So I ate some even though I hadn't had anything to eat yet besides ginger ale. It was a VERY good cake. She is an excellent cook and took the cake decorating classes with me.


This is the top layer that was saved.



Sunday on the way home from church, actually right as we turned into the driveway, Emma started puking (in the car, and we yelled at her to get out so she could puke in the driveway. Our car still smells like vomit though I have used the carpet cleaner on it four times). At this point I suggested that we tell Melinda that we can't come over, but Clay insisted that I should still go and he would stay home with Emma. So I go, and they had a little surprise party for me with 2 other families. Melinda wanted me to see the cake on Saturday so I wouldn't be disappointed on Sunday. We basically ate cake and talked for about an hour and then all went back home. When I got back home, Clay was also puking. What joy. Oh, and the puking went around Melinda's whole family too. She was puking on Thursday while trying to work on my cake.

Clay was very thoughtful and tried to do a lot of fun things for me, but it was surrounded by way too much puking! So, I guess you could say, it was the thought that counts... What a disaster. It cracks me up to write about it.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

If I had known about all the throwing up, I wouldn't have eaten any cake! (I only knew about the kids, not you and Melinda!)
Glad everyone is feeling better now!