Monday, October 6, 2008

If a tree falls in the woods...

We had a very tall dead tree on the edge of the woods, just beyond our property line. We called the park service and ask them to take it down b/c we didn't want it landing on our house during a winter storm. They told us it would be taken care of while we were on vacation. Today, they finally came to cut it down.

Here you can see the indent it made on our lawn when it fell and all the logs they cut and rolled into the woods.

Rebekah and I were sitting on the couch watching them work. I realized it was about to come down, so I ran to get the camera so I could shoot a video of it. I couldn't find the camera. When I finally did, I heard the creaking of the tree and the thud before I could get back to our viewing spot.

Rebekah saw the whole thing. She was terrified. As soon as I sat down she buried her head in my lap. For the rest of the day (week actually), to everyone we met, she signed "tree", "ouch", "helicopter" (for the sound of the chain saw). Check out the look on her face as she signs "ouch"!

1 comment:

Heather Rose-Chase said...

Oh poor baby! How scary for her! Nat & Ben would have been in heaven seeing that (although they would have had their hands over their ears the whole time).