Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Phone

As some of you know, I am not too big in the cell phone world. Clay bought me one a few years back and it has served me just fine. I don't use it much. I have a few people I call on my cell phone, like my mom, my best friend, and my husband. I always had it on when Emma was in preschool -just in case. Most of the time I keep in on so that Clay can tell me if I forgot something on my list of errands.

I needed to do a late Saturday night run to the grocery store. I grabbed my things and threw them in a cart and began my shopping. I soon realized that I had a faulty cart. So I grabbed my stuff and threw it into a new cart. By the time I got around to the meat section I heard a cell phone that sounded just like mine. I looked in my cart and in my purse but couldn't find my phone. I must have left it in the car, but I thought I remembered turning it on as I walked into the store.

The phone was still ringing. I glanced around and it seemed to be coming from 3 teenage girls sharing a cart behind me. I kept looking at them like "aren't you going to answer your phone!" They obviously were too involved in their conversation to be bothered by their phones. I quickly moved on to the cereal aisle.

After checking out I went back, loaded the groceries, and went to call Clay to let him know I was on my way. No Phone!! I ALWAYS leave my phone in my car. I only use it when I am not home, so that is where I leave it. Then it begins to dawn on me. That WAS my phone ringing in the meat aisle. I had left it in the faulty cart. Those girls must have picked the faulty cart and were now no where to be found. I brought the food home and returned with Clay's cell phone so I could track mine down. But the battery was so low on my phone that it must have turned off -it went directly to voice mail. And no one has turned in my phone. I scoured every aisle and every cart (looking for that darn faulty one) but it wasn't there. Neither was the cart. The girls must have taken the cart back to their place (happens a lot at this particular grocery store).

Meanwhile, my dear sweet thoughtful husband, had gone to the virgin mobile website. You see, my phone is a pay-as-you-go phone. So if anyone finds it and starts using it, it will cost a lot of money. He went on-line to stop the automatic top-off and then ordered me a replacement phone. It only cost $12 for shipping and the replacement was free.

My new phone just arrived! and I get to keep my phone number!
Thank you Virgin Mobile!

1 comment:

Heather Rose-Chase said...

I USED to be just like you, I never even gave out my cell phone number. I had no desire for anyone other than the school or hubby to contact me. But slowly things shifted and we rarely (if ever) get calls on the house phone and now it's all cell! I think the transistion happened about the time that Mike's old company started paying for 100% of our family cell phone bill...
Glad you got a shiny new phone!