Friday, September 19, 2008

Bad hair day

If you are anything like me, you dread getting your hair cut. We have lived here for over 6 years and I still have not found anyone that I like/trust to cut my hair. Trying to find a good hair dresser is so hard!!!

Once I went to a Hair Cuttery grand opening near me. The gal who did my hair was a total disaster! The ends were all zig-zag and the layers were...I can't think of the right word, but it was bad. Then she wanted to blow-dry my hair. I reminded her that I have curly hair, so she said she would just do it straight. I ended up with hair sticking out about 4 to 5 inches from my face, kind of like a triangular afro. I looked at her through the mirror and she suggested using a flat iron to make it "shiny" for an extra $10. To which I promptly agreed since I was not walking outside with my triafro. When I got home you could see the gagged ends all over.

I returned 2 days later for a redo with someone else. Jackie, the assistant manager, remembered me and begged to let her fix my hair. She did a wonderful job. She cut my hair the same way as my $60 Los Angeles stylist did. I was so happy! Jackie cut my hair again 2-3 months later. Then when I called for my 3rd haircut she was gone!!! She was just barely 20 and decided to go back to school. I was heartbroken! Finally a good stylist and she was gone.

Finally, two of my friends recommended a stylist in town. I went in June and just had her give me a trim and blend in long layers. That is my standard initial hair cut when trying someone new. She did a good job, but it was a very basic cut.

Today I decided I needed my hair cut again. My hair is too long and has gotten out of control. I have a wedding tomorrow and up-coming family portraits around Thanksgiving. So I figured, get it cut now, then if it is not quite perfect I still have a while to fix it before Thanksgiving. I decided I wanted my hair at my shoulders like I had it on my mission.

I went back to the stylist in town and brought in 5 or 6 different photos of myself in the haircut I wanted. She looked at them and then started to cut. And cut. And cut. And then cut some more. All my hair was gone. Instead of being at my shoulders it just barely frames my face. There is no length to it at all. And the best part it she styled it like old lady helmet head hair. (Why I let people dry and style my hair, I really don't know. It always turns out bad.) As soon as I got in the car I put my baseball cap back on and cried.

Well the good news it that hair does grow back. But who knows what it will look like for our family portraits.

3 comments:

HollybyGolly said...

Oh Heidi, that is so depressing. A guy can always recover from a bad haircut more quickly than a woman. I always hate the way stylists blow dry my hair too, and I am sure the old lady helmet hair made you feel absolutely terrible about the cut. I'm confident that after a few days you will figure out a way to style it in a way that will be cute on you - even if you let it go naturally curly. You actually wear short hair well so I'm sure it is just the shock of it all that you are adjusting to.

Good luck. Another option is to come here a little early and find your fav LA hair stylist before the family photo.

Heather Rose-Chase said...

Yikes. I covet all you Chases and your curls, but I've really never had a bad haircut. I generally walk in to the supercuts and tell them to have fun (I'm a hair stylist's dream customer). Holly is right though, you look great with short hair. But what a dissapointment...

Penny said...

Oh, and I thought it was cute when I saw you. I feel bad that you didn't like it.