Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

My country, 'tis of thee,

Sweet land of liberty,

Of thee I sing;

Land where my fathers died,

Land of the pilgrims' pride,

From ev'ry mountainside

Let freedom ring!


Today as we sang this song, I was overcome with gratitude. I was just recently accepted into Daughters of the American Revolution. I joined through my ancestor Azariah Tuthill who fought in New York. However, he is not my only patriot ancestor. I actually have almost 20 direct male ancestors who helped the cause of the patriots, who fought for our freedoms. I am so proud and grateful for these men who risked their lives. These are my ancestors who fought for the rights and freedoms that I so often take for granted --right to vote in a democracy. the right to own my own property. Most of all the freedom of religion, the right to worship according to my beliefs and not that of a kings'.

1 comment:

Heather Rose-Chase said...

Congratulations, Heidi. You worked very hard on that! Good for you!