Friday, October 16, 2009

This little piggy stayed home...

The swine flu hit our house.

It started on the Sunday before Columbus Day. We went to Monticello that Monday. I had a headache at church. I didn't think much about it because it was fast Sunday (going without food always gives me a headache). It was also our first Sunday in the new building and I was very stressed trying to make sure all of the Primary classes fit in their rooms.

I woke up Monday morning thinking my throat felt a little funny and my voice was slightly hoarse. While at Monticello it was only in the low 40s and I kept saying "it's so cold my back hurts". Well, by the time we got in the car to go home my whole body ached, I had the chills, and I could feel the fever coming on. I immediately fell asleep for the drive. When we got home I had a 102 temperature.

Tuesday morning I felt fine except for my throat being sore. But no fever. That morning Rebekah's voice started sounding funny too. At bedtime, Rebekah was having trouble breathing (and me too) so we gave her a breathing treatment. My fever, chills and aches came back, but not as bad as the first night.

Wednesday Rebekah and I went to the doctors. My doctor didn't test me for swine flu. She said the test is bad -only 10-70% accurate. Still, she was certain that I had it. I picked up a face mask and went to Rebekah's doctor. Rebekah tested negative for swine flu, but still her doctor said she thought she had it too and gave her TamiFlu. That night Rebekah got another breathing treatment.

Seems this flu goes to your lungs pretty quickly. Both doctors told us that people are coming back with bronchitis or pneumonia after the flu. Funny, Emma was diagnosed with Bronchitis the week before. She probably got it first. Rebekah and I spent the rest of the week coughing all the junk out of our lungs. Other than that, we were fine. By Sunday night we both sounded normal again.

And Clay never got it.

No comments: