Monday, October 12, 2009

Monticello


We took advantage of Columbus Day to drive down and see Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson. His plantation consisted of over 1000 acres. We set our alarms and drove down with our dear friends, the Rosenlunds.

Here we are waiting for our tour of the house. No photos allowed inside.

Check out this tree.

Here are all the kids lined up: Evan, Hallie, Emma, Georgia, Spencer, and Rebekah.

The first time I ever saw this flower was here at Monticello. I don't know the name of it, but it will always remind me of Monticello.

Here are the Rosenlunds!




It turned out to be a VERY cold day up on Jefferson's "little mountain". Only mid-forties for a high. We would have explored a lot more, but we were freezing. So, we quickly toured the gardens.



I loved this Hyacinth Bean terrace.


Our little pumpkin! Actually, this is a HUGE winter squash, not a pumpkin.
After Monticello, we went to Michie Tavern for some colonial dining.
After supper we strolled around downtown Charlottesville.

1 comment:

Marge said...

thanks for sharing, your photos are great. I felt like I was right there.