Friday, March 6, 2009

The American Girl

I am so proud of Emma. For almost a year now she has wanted an American Girl doll. These dolls are about $100, and I am not willing to pay that much. I told her if she wanted it she had to save her money. Little by little she saved (50% for the doll, 10% for tithing, 40% for college). She checked out the books about Felicity from the school library. We gave her a math workbook and told her we would buy the accessory set if she completed the book. She did it. Last week we counted her money, it was enough to pay for the doll and shipping. We ordered it, and the doll arrived today!

Felicity was a great choice for Emma. They both have brown hair and green eyes. She wears a purple dress, Emma's favorite color. They both live in Virginia. Felicity is actually from colonial Williamsburg during the years that lead up to the American Revolution. Coincidentally, I am currently working on proving my ancestry to join Daughters of the American Revolution. Emma is so excited, and we are planning a trip to Williamsburg soon.

5 comments:

Heather Rose-Chase said...

Way to go Emma! I hope your new friend brings you lots of joy through the years!

My family are all part of the DAR as well (the Rose side), but I just have no interest in joining! Good for you though!

Ellie said...

I'm very impressed. Elizabeth has been talking about getting an American Girl doll and I think I will suggest this method. It might help her stop spending money on junky necklaces at the book fair! What did Emma do to earn money?

John said...

I love my daughters American girl dolls. I know they are expensive, but they are good wholesome dolls, with nice stories. Ruth has Kirsten, and Kate has Kit. They chose them after they read the books. But I like them so well that I plan to buy them for my other 2 daughters when they turn eight. They are so much better than barbie or just about anything else out there.

RevJohnMarksCAR said...

We made a "Responsibilities" chart for her. She gets stars on her chart for doing things. At the end of the week we look at her chart and pay her based on the # of stars (the most being $3.) So, it's kind of like an allowance. She also saves her birthday and Christmas money she gets.

Whenever she asks for something I ask her if she wants to use her money or continue to save for the doll. She usually picks save for the doll. Now she wants to save for some dresses for her doll.

Luv2run said...

That is an awesome lesson to teach Emma about saving up her money. You are such a great mom.